Have Netflix and live in Canada? I'm sorry. Here are some shows you might enjoy. There are bullets.
Starring Damian Lewis, Sarah Shahi, Adam Arkin, Brent Sexton, Donal Logue
- Charlie (Lewis) serves 12 years for murder, gets all zen in prison, then is exonerated and joins a procedural cop show. It's a great premise, but the story ark moves way too slowly.
- His partner Reese is one of the most interesting characters but since I haven't seen Shahi in anything else, it's hard to tell if she's going for enigmatic or is just plain wooden.
- His boss (Logue), who enters later on in the season, is very likable but doesn't have much to do.
- Cool gimmick: Bodies are almost always found in unusual places or positions, and not decomposed.
- The writing is often sloppy. Adam Arkin is miscast as an idiot.
- Tried it after Homeland gave me a man-crush on Damian Lewis. Blew my mind when I found out he was actually British.
Starring Idris Elba, Warren Brown, Ruth Wilson
- Idris Elba is one of the best actors in both movies and TV. As Stringer Bell I never guessed he was British.
- Elba is channelling Bruce Willis as a middle-aged alcoholic cop and people around him die a lot.
- Very gritty, well-written procedural cop show where things actually happen in the story ark.
- Luther's Relationship with Alice (Ruth Wilson) is the most interesting plot point and something I haven't seen before, but then again I haven't seen everything.
Starring Jeremy Sisto, Delroy Lindo, Timothy Hutton, Carmon Ejogo
- Its ratings took a meteoric fall after the pilot, it was unceremoniously cancelled before the season even finished airing.
- Very well written, directed and acted, and thus probably too smart for NBC.
- Jeremy Sisto's Mr. Knapp is a total Bourne-ish badass, but his name is a bad gimmick that really stands out among all the smart things here. May have helped kill the show.
- The Affleck Brothers' Gone Baby Gone was released the year after, and clearly took some notes from this.
- Saw it in the bargain bin at a convenience store and bought it as a Christmas present. If you see it, do the same.